Built in 1921, The Craftsman B&B was renovated in 2004 – 2005 to return the character of the period and modernize the workings. Classic Arts and Crafts elements were incorporated – from the Greene & Greene inspired cloud lift detail of the railings to wainscoting typical of a Gustav Stickley house. The structural integrity of the house has been respected, while adding the style of many of the period’s most respected designers, to make this craftsman house a special place. You will open the door to the 1920’s, so park your car and unplug, because everything is within walking distance.
The Craftsman B&B is an member of the Oregon Bed & Breakfast Guild and has been inspected and approved to meet their standards of quality. We are also a certified Green Lodging B&B, rated by Sustainable Travel International in partnership with OBBG. We are rated 3 leaves by i stay green.com.
The period started as a revolt of the ornate Victorian design, machine made décor and furniture. Returning to simple, clean and natural design. Celebrating the craftsmanship of hand – made furnishings and buildings, it was common for the architects not only design a house, but also design the interior and furniture. At The Craftsman B&B, you won’t find lace or doilies – and men won’t be embarrassed to tell their buddies about their stay.
Innkeeper: Michael Rech retired at age 40 from the graphics business. He used to race sports cars, VW's, no really, VW's. Now he cruises on his Ducati Multistrada to get his speed fixes and to tour the West. He is interested in gardening, cooking, baking, woodworking/ furniture making and cleaning bathrooms. He loves era specific things: The Craftsman style; Pin-up and Bomber art; Airstream trailers; Model A's and T's, old trucks, originals and "rat rods". Mikes first job was working at a country club golf course. There he learned the skills to interact with people, how to find out what people really wanted and how he could provide it. Mike knows Pacific City and the surrounding area, he provides concierge-level expertise to get you doing what you want to do. He can help you pick a restaurant based on what you like, and the experience you desire.
The Craftsman Bed & Breakfast is an owner occupied, small business. There is not a manager or staff. Mike does it all. This home is a dream come true and he's excited and passionate about the B&B and love to share the dream with you, our guest. The Craftsman will be a unique part of your travel experience.
Your safety during your stay is very important to us. We are here, for the most part, 24 / 7. This is a small town, so when we are not there, we are less than 5 minutes away should you need anything.
- Our rooms doors are locked with a deadbolt as well as all exterior doors.
- Our entryways are lit all night.
- All our windows are secured with lock.
- Our private parking area is lit with a street light.
- Smoke detectors and alarms in every room.
- After you check out, feel safe in that we keep all our guest information private and secure.
We are perfect for the Solo Traveler.
- In the spirit of our 1921 B&B, we do not have televisions or radios.
- Please use our spa robes for going to the hot tub or relaxing around the house. If you like them, ask how you can have one to enjoy everyday at home.
- Flip flops are also for your trip to the hot tub.
- Our bathrooms are equipped with a hair dryer, no need to pack one.
- We have razors, cotton balls and Q-tips in the counter bins.
- Our soaps and lotions are in small travel sizes. Please take them with you to keep the TSA happy. We donate partial bottles to a local women’s shelter.
- If our down comforters are too warm for you, we have a blanket in the dresser drawer.
- Don’t forget our DVD collection for a movie night.
- Browse through the bookcase for volumes written about the period of the B&B and the style of your room.
- Check out the games for some old fashioned fun. Be sure to play for bragging rights.